Many pet owners ask whether or not they should get pet insurance for their furry family member. The cost of plans will vary based on the age of your pet, its breed and the type of coverage you select. The pet health insurance industry has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years and there are now many options available to owners.
There are a number of factors to weigh when making this decision. There are many plans and options available and it’ a good idea to do some research before choosing one for your pet. You should also be aware that with most policies, the pet owner must pay the vet bills in full, file a claim, and then wait for reimbursement.
Some questions to ask before you sign up with an insurer include:
- Is there a physical exam required to get coverage?
- What percentage of the bill does the company pay after the deductible?
- Are there co-pays?
- Does the plan cover pre-existing conditions and recurring medical problems?
- Can you choose any veterinarian or animal hospital?
- Are prescription drugs covered?
- Does the policy pay if your pet is being treated and dies?
Different options for pet insurance include:
Have more questions about pet insurance? Give us a call at (541) 688-5521.